Lissie Artley ’25Political Science Major
Posted on April 26th, 2023 by

“The Political Science Department has improved my writing and critical thinking skills, both of which I will be able to apply to future careers in or out of the political world.”

Lissie chose to major in Political Science in addition to a History major, saying, “I have always been interested in bettering my understanding of the government and how things function as well as understanding the history that has influenced current social and political issues.”

Lissie has enjoyed the atmosphere within the department, especially the support of professors and their commitment to the success of students within the department. She particularly appreciates Professor Richard Leitch, who has been her advisor in the Political Science Department. He has provided support for her throughout her time at Gustavus. “Leitch constantly checks in and is always willing to help if I need input on a Political Science course.”

She has also appreciated the coursework in her classes, particularly in US Public Policy and International Relations, saying, “Both classes felt super engaging and made the concepts fun to learn about.” Lissie points to the Day at the Capitol as her favorite experience within the department. Through this event, she was able to form a personal connection with Representative Jeff Brandt, and has been able to communicate with him about an internship opportunity for her.

In addition to her studies, Lissie is also involved on campus with Big Partner Little Partner, Alpha Sigma Tau, and the Gustavus Swim and Dive Team.