Jenna Wyum ’23Public Accounting Major
Posted on April 26th, 2023 by

“There are so many opportunities that the Business and Economics Department offers students to grow in their careers, and I am thankful for all of the guidance I’ve received and the relationships I’ve formed that I know I can rely on as I begin my future career.”

Knowing since high school that she wanted to go into the business field, Jenna decided that a major in Public Accounting would give her the best well-rounded education in business.

Within the Business and Economics Department, Jenna has found a supportive community and experiences that have prepared her for a future career. She has formed personal relationships with professors within the department, saying, “I’ve even had professors stop to sit and talk with me when they see me around campus to catch up on how things are going or follow up on previous conversations.” Jenna has been able to form an especially personal relationship with Professor Lonnie Hosman, who cares about his students not only academically but also personally.

Jenna describes the Business and Economics faculty as being extremely supportive of students within the department and always being available to help students who may be struggling. Jenna has appreciated the collaboration of faculty within the department to provide students with a manageable workload and balanced education.

The faculty within the department also are adamant about providing information to students about internships and experiential learning opportunities. Through suggestions from the faculty, Jenna was able to acquire an internship opportunity at an accounting firm in Mankato. Department faculty also readily provide students with networking opportunities, especially through Gustavus’s strong alumni community. Jenna appreciates the atmosphere within her accounting classes, in which faculty make a point to connect coursework to real-life workplace environments.

Through experiential learning and the network that she has been able to build through the Business and Economics Department, Jenna feels prepared to confidently pursue a career in business.

Outside of her major, Jenna is very involved in activities on campus. She is involved with Student Senate, Theta Xi Gamma Sorority, Gustavus Women in Leadership, and Accounting Club.