Lauren HechtPsychological Science
Posted on May 10th, 2024 by

“My primary areas of research focus on understanding how our minds interpret the world around us (perception) and how we process or ignore a subset of what we perceive (attention).”

What are your areas of research and teaching expertise?Lauren Hecht works with student.

My primary areas of research focus on understanding how our minds interpret the world around us (perception) and how we process or ignore a subset of what we perceive (attention). I teach courses in my area of expertise (Sensation & Perception; Attention) and courses that serve all of our Psychological Science majors (Introductory Psychology; Statistics & Research Methods I & II). I also regularly teach FTS: Animal Minds, which focuses on comparing human and nonhuman cognition.

Describe your “lightbulb moment.”

Throughout undergrad, whenever someone asked me if I wanted to teach, I had only thought of K-12 teaching (not for me), despite being surrounded by professors for 4 years at a liberal arts college. My view of employment options was limited – something I now recognize as part my experience as a first generation college student. It wasn’t until the summer after my first year of graduate school, when I taught my first undergraduate course (Cognitive Psychology with only 7 students), that I discovered my passion for teaching and mentoring and identified my career path.

What do you enjoy outside the classroom?

Aside from spending time with family and friends, I also enjoy being in or on the water. Before having kids, I was a SCUBA Divemaster (a professional level certification); eventually, I will return to that passion and take new underwater photos. In the meantime, I try to kayak whenever I can. I also enjoy reading, playing in Campus Band (bass clarinet), and crafting (primarily with textiles).

What is your favorite author/book?

Normally, I’m not one to pick favorites, but since I have read nearly all of his books, I’d have to say that Mitch Albom is my favorite author. I started by reading “Tuesdays with Morrie” and “The First Five People You Meet in Heaven” and quickly appreciated the themes of self-reflection, spirituality, forgiveness, resiliency, and/or human interconnectedness that appear in his writing.