Martha NdakalakoEnglish, African Studies, Comparative Literature
Posted on April 15th, 2024 by

“I research and write about unconventional feminist literatures, and the way in which these kinds of literatures on innovative aesthetic and literary practices in order to circulate and comment on Namibian culture, history, and politics.”

Portrait photo of Martha Ndakalako in a green sweater. What are your areas of research and teaching expertise?

I specialize in Anglophone African literatures, African and Black feminisms, and African Studies. My research focuses on contemporary Namibian women’s literature and feminisms. I research and write about unconventional feminist literatures, and the way in which these kinds of literatures on innovative aesthetic and literary practices in order to circulate and comment on Namibian culture, history, and politics. These unconventional literatures include collections of women’s micro-biographies of the Namibian war, Facebook Fiction, and even conventional-seeming books that come into circulation via non-traditional avenues. I teach African literature , African Feminisms, African Digital Literatures, Black Comics and Graphic Novels.

​​What is your teaching style?

My classes are very conversational, and discussion-based.

What do you enjoy outside the classroom?

I love taking walks around the various neighborhoods, in Minneapolis (or where-ever I am living or traveling to). I love both reading and listening to audio-books, television (on the couch with my two cats), and travel.

What tips do you have for student success? 

Office hours! Ask questions and meet your prof in office hours. 

What campus traditions are your favorite?

Africa Night. I look forward to it every Spring.