Ivan Scarpino Korb ’24Political Science Major
Posted on April 26th, 2023 by

“I feel that the classes are always presented in a non biased format even when professors may have their own respective opinions when teaching about curriculum.”

Choosing to come to Gustavus solely for the football program, Ivan did not have an intended major when he first started classes.

However, after taking Political and Legal Thinking with Professor Jill Locke, he decided that a major in Political Science would be right for him. In addition to the specific coursework in the department, Ivan says, “I also have wanted to serve within a community and I feel that working in the government is something I can see myself doing.”

Within the Political Science Department, Ivan appreciates that the professors are able to maintain a non-biased environment despite having their own opinions about course material. Ivan recognizes his favorite department experience as being Day at the Capitol, in which a group of students travel to the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul to advocate for the Minnesota State Grant. “This was a great experience for improving my ability to advocate for something that I believe in and advocate for it effectively.”

Ivan also has appreciated the faculty within the Political Science Department, particularly his advisor Professor Kate Knutson. She has been very helpful for Ivan in providing recommendations for internships and scholarship opportunities. The summer before his senior year, Ivan plans to partake in an internship with a Colorado congressional office.

Outside of his major, Ivan is involved in Gustavus Football, is a Collegiate Fellow, and a member of OLAS.