Bailey Wagner ’24Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies Major
Posted on March 17th, 2023 by

“It is such a blessing to be surrounded by people with whom I can have a range of conversations. We can have intellectual discussions about ancient references in modern media, whether or not Sauron is a blackhole, or what the prettiest duck species is.”

Originally focused on her Chemistry major, Bailey was first drawn to the Greek, Latin and Classical Studies Department during her first Greek course. She describes this as a challenging yet fun experience, saying, “With grueling days of Greek, I still found myself excited to learn more.”

Bailey has found herself to be fascinated with uncovering knowledge of the ancient world, and with the mystique of dead languages like Greek and Latin. Bailey has appreciated the conversations that the department has allowed her to have with fellow classmates and faculty, enjoying the intellectual discussions that take place, which connect themes from ancient language to modern events and trends.

Bailey feels that she never has to fear judgment by peers and professors. “Every statement or question made is met with curiosity, not hostility, allowing one to feel comfortable and understood.” Bailey is appreciative of the faculty within the department for fostering important conversations and ideas for students. She especially appreciates Professor Yurie Hong, saying, “Dr. Hong always critiques me in a constructive way and does everything in her power to see progress in her students, whether that be progress as an academic, or as a young adult trying to make sense of the world we are in.”

She will have the opportunity to dig deeper into her passion for the ancient world this coming summer, during which she will travel to Portugal as an archaeological field student. Here, she will learn about and engage in artifact excavation at the large Roman villa site in Alto Alentejo.

Bailey feels motivated to integrate her experiences in the Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies Department into her work as a pre-med student, hoping to write an honor’s thesis paper on ancient medicine her senior year. She believes that her knowledge of classics will help her in a future psychiatry career, especially in her ability to empathize with those who have different perspectives on the world. She feels that after learning how to understand and empathize with people of ancient times, she has developed the skills necessary to empathize with future patients.

Bailey  also feels that the department has taught her the importance of teamwork and collaboration. She says, “Similar to how I am incapable of succeeding without my classmates, I will not be able to provide adequate care to my patients without my colleagues.”

On campus, Bailey is involved in other academic organizations, including the Academic Operations Committee, Students’ Educators Association, Education Honors Society, and the Classics Honors Society.