Emma Forsyth ’25Theatre & Dance Major
Posted on May 3rd, 2024 by

“My classmates have become my best friends and I love watching them dance in class and on stage.”

As an aspiring dance studio instructor, Emma chose to major in Dance to provide her with post-graduation opportunities  in dance education so that she can eventually teach young dancers and create choreography. Within the Theatre & Dance Department, she has found a community of other dancers of various backgrounds who she can learn from. She says, “We strive to build community in our classes by offering feedback and encouragement to each other”. In many of her Dance courses, Emma has had opportunities to work with her peers to practice different teaching strategies, and choreograph for advanced dancers. Emma has also had the opportunity to develop close relationships with her Dance professors, many of whom she has taken multiple courses with, such as Professor Jill Patterson. Taking classes with Professor Patterson since her first year, Emma feels that she has helped her find her place and feel comfortable within the Theatre & Dance Department. She says, “I have been able to connect with faculty on a personal level and they have continued to support me even when I am not in their classes.” Faculty have given her important advice and feedback in Dance and teaching that she will carry with her into her career, which Emma appreciates. Through the department, Emma has also had opportunities to travel to American College Dance Association conferences with her peers, which have been valuable experiences. Outside of the Theatre & Dance Department, Emma is also involved on campus with Sustainability Interns, Delta Phi Omega Sorority, and the Peer MALT program.