Emelia Gifford ’25African/African Diaspora Studies Minor
Posted on May 3rd, 2024 by

“[Professor Kate Aguilar] has gone out of her way to make sure I am getting the most out of my time here at Gustavus and is always there to chat!”

In high school, Emelia felt that she never was able to learn about the African Diaspora, so she took the opportunity to learn more about this field at Gustavus with a minor in African/African Diaspora Studies. Since then, she has found the culture and history of the continent to be very rich, and a field that is “understudied and undervalued”. She describes the atmosphere of classes within the program as positive and encouraging, and appreciates the multidisciplinary and multidimensional nature of course content, saying “There are classes on film or music that count for the minor and create a more concrete and well-rounded understanding of Africa as a whole”. Emelia has also enjoyed experiences outside of the classroom that she has had opportunities to participate in. The program has hosted multiple speakers and events that she has found to be fun and informative. Her favorite professor in the program is Dr. Kate Aguilar, appreciating her deep passion for the material that she teaches. She also enjoys Dr. Aguilar’s care for her students as individuals, saying “Every time I see Kate in passing, she gives me a hug and makes it a point to ask me how I am doing”. As a whole, Emelia feels that the African Studies program has pushed her to ask difficult questions and “seek answers from multiple sources”, which is a skill that she plans to take with her into the future. Outside of the African Studies Program, Emelia is also involved on campus with Psi Chi, the National Psychology Honors Society, and Gustavus Technology Services.