Isabella Delwiche ’25Major Secondary Education
Posted on August 23rd, 2023 by

Isabella Delwiche headshot“The professors in the English Department are the absolute best. They have so much knowledge to share and they make learning such a joy.”

Isabella Delwiche, from Milwaukee Wisconsin, is a Secondary Education major with a Communication Arts Literature (CALT) focus. She chose Gustavus primarily for its Education Department and the campus community. 

She chose her major because of her passion for reading and writing. “My goal as a teacher is to be the supportive figure that I would have benefitted from as a middle-schooler, and I am excited to be on my journey to having my own classroom,” Delwiche said. 

A favorite experience within her Gustavus classes has been the Young Adult Literature course. “We explored all different kinds of books and had fantastic conversations about the themes and literary qualities, as well as whether or not we would teach them in a classroom setting,” Delwiche said, adding that the course’s positive environment made it easy to discuss the difficult topics. 

Delwiche said her favorite professor is Becky Fremo, whom she described as wildly knowledgeable and passionate about her literature, as well as being  genuinely caring about her students. “I approached her midway through the semester with a challenge I was facing and she guided me through it with so much compassion, it made me feel as though she really cared about my success,” Delwiche said “She has taken time to get to know me and my personality, and I greatly appreciate that.” 

Other activities Delwiche is involved in on campus are the Choir of Christ Chapel, Christ Chapel Ringers, Big Partner Little Partner, and Study Buddies.