Anahi Rubalcava Oritz ’23Major in Sociology, Anthropology and Individualized major in Public Health.
Posted on August 23rd, 2023 by

“All of the public health courses that I have taken are interactive. I have enjoyed collaborating with my classmates and professors, whether it be on case studies or giving presentations”

Anahi Ortiz, from Faribault MN, chose Gustavus because of the class sizes, the College’s values, beautiful campus, and short distance from home. While on campus Oritz participated as a historian for Tri – Alpha, in an internship for University of Minnesota Extension, along with being a direct support professional at Shiloh’s Hope. 

Ortiz majored in Sociology and Anthropology and had an individualized major in Public Health. “I chose to major in public health because during the early stages of the pandemic I noticed the important role that public health professionals play in preventing and controlling disease,” she said. She said the pandemic also played a role in choosing her Public Health major because it brought attention to health disparities and the need for more equitable healthcare.  

While in the Public Health Department, she shared that the professors have been able to answer any question that she has. The Department’s small size also helped Ortiz get to know her classmates and feel comfortable speaking up in classes. 

Due to the opportunities connected to the Department, Dr. Karl Larson was able to help Oritz get an internship at the University of Minnesota Extension as a SNAP- Ed Intern, for which she was able to work with different SNAP-Ed Educators. “I had the opportunity to help a SNAP educator teach about oil and what is a healthy amount to cook with. I also gave a presentation about food insecurity in college students. That has been my favorite part of my internship,” Ortiz said. She said SNAP Educators were really interested in the topic of her presentation, which led them to have a great discussion about the issue. 

Oritz has accepted a position as Health Educator in Diabetes and will be teaching a diabetes prevention class in Spanish in Mankato.