Jennifer AckilPsychological Science
Posted on April 15th, 2024 by

“Inspiration, interesting ideas, and opportunities for growth are everywhere and diving into an area of study that piques your interest can be life changing.”

Jennifer Ackil in the front of a classroom. What are your areas of research and teaching expertise?

I am a cognitive psychologist and thus, interested in the mind and how it works.  I conduct research examining various aspects of human memory processes, with a particular interest in understanding why errors emerge when we reconstruct the past.

What tips do you have for student success? 

My advice for students is to have an open mind and a willingness to dig into the academic opportunities available.  Inspiration, interesting ideas, and opportunities for growth are everywhere and diving into an area of study that piques your interest can be life changing.

What campus traditions are your favorite?

Graduation is my favorite campus wide tradition.  There’s something very special about seeing students and their families celebrating such a remarkable and joyous milestone.  Within the Department of Psych Science my favorite tradition is our annual student research symposium.  This is a time for students to share with each other and with the faculty, the discoveries they’ve made in their experiments and research projects.  

What is your favorite class to teach?

I love all the classes I teach but for different reasons.  The Introductory psychology class holds a special place in my heart because it gives me the opportunity to act as a tour guide for the discipline, highlighting for students all the interesting areas we study and making it clear how the scientific approach can be used to understand behavior and mind. 

Where is your favorite place on campus/in St Peter?

I love Beck Hall.  It’s a sunny place with so much energy spilling out of the classrooms and labs.