Raquel Vaughn ’25African/African Diaspora Studies Minor
Posted on April 5th, 2024 by

“I think [the African Studies Faculty’s]  genuine interest in what I’m doing and what I’ve done has made it clear to me that these are people I can trust when it comes to my career.”

Raquel has always been interested in African American history, and after taking courses in the African/African Diaspora Studies program, the passion that the faculty had for their course material inspired her to become an African Studies minor. Within the program, Raquel has found a classroom atmosphere that is engaging, saying of her professors, “They love their jobs and their students, and it shows in their teaching”. A course within the program that Raquel has found particularly interesting is Women Writing Africa with Professor Martha Ndakalako, which was eye-opening for her, especially in learning from Professor Ndakalako’s lived experiences. Raquel has also appreciated taking classes with Professor Kate Aguilar, who she describes as someone who deeply cares about her students, saying “Every time I see her, she always makes room to chat about me– asking me questions about my classes and plans for the summer”. Raquel claims that every professor in the African/African Diaspora program has left an impact on her life either academically or personally, and helps students with resources for career and internship opportunities in the field. Outside of academics, Raquel is also involved on campus with Campus Activities Board, Women’s Action Coalition, and the Gustavian Weekly.