Claire Ghantous ’26Education Major
Posted on April 5th, 2024 by

“Being a part of this department, I am given the opportunity to engage in both collaborative and hands-on activities.”

Claire has always thought about teaching as a possible career option, but it wasn’t until she shadowed an elementary school teacher through one of her Gustavus Education classes that she realized that it was her true calling. She says, “I feel called to be a part of the educational journey of our future generations, and I hope that I can make a genuine impact on my students’ lives one day”. Within the Education Department, Claire has found a positive atmosphere in which she is able to engage in collaborative and hands-on learning. She appreciates the fact that her  learning experience within the department can be drawn to her own future classroom, saying “I love being able to learn in the same way that I hope my future students will one day learn”. Also through the Education Department, Claire has had various opportunities to shadow different teachers, and has found these to be very valuable experiences. She has been able to see the real dynamics of teaching and has enjoyed connecting with the students, appreciating the connection that she has been able to draw between theory and practice of teaching. She says, “I was able to see both the challenges and rewards that come with being an educator”. Another aspect of the Education Department that Claire values is the faculty’s support for their students, both as guides and as role models. She says, “Each teacher has offered exceptional guidance, modeled effective teaching practices, and created a supportive learning environment. I truly feel prepared to go into the field of teaching and make a difference!” Outside of the Education Department, Claire is also involved on campus with Club Hockey, Delta Phi Omega Sorority, and Student Educators Association.