Briana MillerEducation Department
Posted on April 15th, 2024 by

As a life-long learner, I share that everyone is a learner and everyone is a teacher. I bring that belief into my teaching. Everyone has strengths and experiences that they bring to the classroom from which we can all learn.

Briana Miller in a classroom.What are your areas of research and teaching expertise?

My teaching expertise and research includes Science and Math Methods for Elementary Education Majors, inclusive STEM practices, student engagement strategies, classroom transformations, conceptual math strategies, inquiry based learning, project based learning, K-6 teaching, and the Enneagram typing system.

What is your teaching style?

As a life-long learner, I share that everyone is a learner and everyone is a teacher. I bring that belief into my teaching. Everyone has strengths and experiences that they bring to the classroom from which we can all learn. From the moment students enter the classroom, they need to feel safe and welcome. The opportunity to learn in a classroom does not look and sound like an exciting invitation to everyone from young to mature learners, and while I believe the content is important, the learning experience is as well. Course content may stay similar for a series of years, but because the context and the students change, no semester is the same. I prefer to co-create and guide learning opportunities with each group of students. I aim to model and facilitate positive learning experiences for the pre-service educators in our program at Gustavus so that they will lead well for their future students. One thing I know my students, from elementary to Gustavus Elementary Education Majors look forward to is Mario Day. I create a thematic learning experience around Mario World. I even dress up as Mario. Play is learning and important for students of all ages. I am happy to actively engage in play with my students!

Describe your “lightbulb moment.”

I once had a student who was known to struggle in school and routinely avoided work. I set up cooperative groups to work on a STEM challenge. With the presented task, this student became an energized leader. He shared ideas, problem solved and remained flexible when the original plan needed tweaking to be successful. Not only was it clear to me that this student had more to offer than what was usually seen and asked of him in school, but his peers saw him differently as well. While routine and structure can be tools of inclusivity, it is important to remember that we must support ALL students’ learning, not just those who thrive in a predictable and repeatable classroom framework across their school career. Classroom transformations, engagement strategies, rigorous enrichment opportunities, and project-based learning became focal in my planning and learning experiences from that point forward.

What do you enjoy outside the classroom?

My family keeps me engaged in several hobbies and activities, from crafting, video games, and bike riding to competitive cheer, wrestling, and Vex robotics tournaments. I belong to a creative writing group, book club, support group for moms of multiples (twin mom), regularly attend musical theater productions, and am currently in the last year of my doctoral program. I value people and experiences, so a coffee date or walk with a friend or family member is always welcome. 

What tips do you have for student success? 

I believe success as a student or individual comes from personal development and identified priorities. As you learn about yourself (a lifelong journey), naming priorities and claiming time for them is essential when the world is noisy and offers many appealing distractions. Students creating space and time that aligns to their goals (academic, spiritual, physical, emotional) will set them up for success! You can use your Google calendar, Google Keep, a physical planner, or other tools to do this!

What campus traditions are your favorite?

I loved Midnight Express as a Gustavus student (I graduated in 2006), and I love it now as faculty. Free food, amazing music, and community are a great recipe for a stress-reliever! 

As a former Lucia Singer I participated in Christmas in Christ Chapel all four years, and tear up during O Come All Ye Faithful every time! I love passing out diplomas to Education Majors at graduation!

What is your favorite author/book?

The two books I have enjoyed for a long time are “Walk Two Moons” by Sharon Creech and “Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal” by Chistopher Moore. Recently I really enjoyed “Lessons in Chemistry” by Bonnie Garmus

What is your favorite class to teach?

I love teaching science and math methods for elementary educators (EDU 371/373). I just taught a course on the Enneagram for the first time during the final J-Term and hope to find a way to teach it again! It was a blast!

Where is your favorite place on campus/in St Peter?

On Campus: the Labyrinth in the Arb
Off Campus: Diamond Dust and music in Minnesota Square Park.