Chasey Wedge ’24History Major
Posted on September 28th, 2023 by

“I strongly believe that learning about the past and why things happened the way that they did is the best way to navigate the future and hopefully avoid making the same mistakes and create a better future.”

Chasey became interested in a history major due to her passion for understanding past lifestyles, and finds history to be an exciting and interesting field. She also believes in the importance of a historical understanding in navigating the future. Within the History Department, Chasey greatly appreciates the discussion-based structure, which focuses on debate and perspective as opposed to memorization of historical events. She says, “we focus on discussing and debating different interpretations and perspectives to better understand the why of history”. She enjoys this classroom format, which provides insight and hands-on learning experience. Even in classes that have felt intimidating to Chasey, such as Pro-modern East Asia, she has found herself engaged and fascinated by the material. Chasey has had the opportunity to serve as the History Department’s Academic Assistant starting this year, which she foresees being a very important experience and an opportunity to get to work more closely with the faculty in the History Department. She hopes that this experience will help her continue to build connections that will provide her with more learning opportunities. Chasey’s favorite professor during her time in the History Department has been Dr. Maddalena Marinari, who has been a supportive person academically, as well as in figuring out post-graduation plans. Chasey has built a close relationship with Professor Marinari, saying Because of the relationship I have been able to build with her as my advisor, I full-heartedly believe that she is someone I will keep in contact with beyond my time at Gustavus and well into my professional life.” Through the department, Chasey feels that she has developed skills that will be important in any future career that she may choose. Outside of the History Department, Chasey is also involved on campus with various student organizations, including Gustie Greeters and the Gustavus Wind Orchestra.