Zoe Jesh ’24Political Science Major
Posted on March 27th, 2023 by

“Not only have the Political Science faculty provided me with valuable information, but they have taught me how to use my personal strengths toward my professional development and provided me with a network of Gustie alumni to reach out to.”

Zoe was drawn to a major in Political Science due to an interest in understanding how legislation has the power to affect herself, as well as those around her.

She enjoys the environment in the Political Science Department, and how everyone feels like their voice can be heard and their views appreciated. She especially appreciates the small class sizes, saying, “they really allow students to make deeper connections with their professors and engage more in class without feeling like they are fighting for their voices to be heard.”

Zoe has had the opportunity to learn outside of the classroom through both a study abroad experience and Day at the Capitol, in which students are able to travel to the Minnesota Capitol in St. Paul to talk to their legislators in person. However, her favorite experience outside of the classroom has been the opportunity to help her advisor, Professor Kate Knutson, during the process of writing her textbook, saying, “I gained valuable experience working with peers and reviewing academic texts.”

Zoe appreciates all of the faculty within their department, and feels that they have supported her in preparation for a future career through professional development and helping students with networking to build connections that will help in future job searches.

Outside of academics, Zoe is involved in the Pediatric Cancer Outreach Crew, Ducks Unlimited, and Whittling Club.