Emily Mills ’26Statistics Major
Posted on April 5th, 2024 by

“It makes me feel really reassured to know that I have professors like that who will have my back and want the best for me throughout my time at Gustavus and beyond.”

As someone who hopes to go to Medical School, Emily feels that she has found a well-rounded education by pursuing a Statistics Major while also taking pre-requisite courses in various other departments. In the Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science Department, Emily has taken many courses that she has found very interesting. One aspect of the department that she has particularly enjoyed is the collaborative nature of course activities, in which students are able to work with each other on projects. She says “In MCS 240, I got to make an interactive statistical interface with a partner that analyzed global COVID-19 pandemic data from the World Health Organization, and we were able to be really creative with our design and color palette with a lot of support from our professor if we had questions, so it was a really fun project”. She has found this group work to be very helpful in learning how to use different strengths to achieve a goal, and knows that this will be a very important skill for a future career in healthcare. Emily has also enjoyed the support of Mathematics, Computer Science & Statistics faculty. She points to Professor LoFaro in particular within the department as someone who cares about his students, and she appreciates that he is very passionate about the material that he teaches. Emily also hopes to take advantage of research opportunities available through the department in the future with faculty members. Outside of the Mathematics, Computer Science & Statistics Department, Emily is also involved on campus with Delight Ministries, Big Partner Little Partner, and the Gustavus Mentoring Program.